Tuesday, May 13, 2008

China quake: Dam and band survive


Han Sing, a member of the mega-popular band Three Gorgeous Dames was injured during the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck China on Monday.

Sing had been visiting a friend in Chengdu when the apartment complex they were in partially collapsed. The two had been on the eighth floor of the ten story building. "I was writing a song for an upcoming concert in Macao and the shaking and rumbling began and before I knew it I woke up in the hospital with some minor scratches and a slight concussion. I was very lucky," said Sing.

Three Gorges Dam, which the band based its name upon, came through the massive quake unscathed. Engineers had feared the worst when the ground began to tremble.

"First I thought all those years of hard work down the drain. Then I couldn't help but think if I had left my stove on when I left for work today," Ging Yuang, an official from China's Ministry of Engineering.

The dam, the largest in the world, sits on the Yangtze River and has displaced over 1.5 million people since its construction began in 1994. "Construction is just about complete, I would have been pretty embarrassed had the dam failed," said Yuang.

No comments: