Friday, March 6, 2009

Dawkins: 'Altitude will force me to curtail my pregame ritual.'


Sadly, Brian Dawkins, the Eagles' superstar safety for the past 13 seasons, signed with the Denver Broncos last weekend as a free agent. Arguably the most beloved Eagle of all time, the team failed to match a very aggressive offer from the AFC West club.

Dawkins came to Philadelphia from Clemson University and quickly formed a connection with a football-crazy fanbase that loves their defensive units. His departure has caused quite a backlash from the Eagles faithful.

The safety is known for his pregame rituals that transform the quiet Jacksonville, FL, native into one of the NFL's most feared, hard-hitting defensive backs.

During home games, when the defense was announced to the crowd Dawkins, in character as his favorite superhero Wolverine, charged through the inflatable tunnel and onto the field to deafening noise. The player was drawn to the comic book and movie X-Men character who is known for having great strength, super senses and quick healing capcity when injured.

"The doctors in Denver have seen tapes from my pregame routine," said Dawkins. "They tell me that because of the altitude here I will not be able to continue it as is. They say I could, and probably would, pass out."

Even before Dawkins runs, or rather crawls, through the tunnel he has already spent hours psyching himself into a state of mind that prepares his body for the car accident-type collisions soon to come.

"Brian allowed us to put a microphone under his jersey a few years ago and we heard the player speaking his own language and roaring himself into a frenzy," said NFL Films president Steve Sabol.

Most professional athletes in Denver have reduced or cut entirely energy-draining pregame practices because of the city's mile high altitude.

"When I was traded from Montreal to Denver I tried to continue with my pregame routine," said former Denver Avalanche goalie Patrick Roy, referring to his 75 laps around the rink at full speed while carrying a duffel bag full of cinder blocks. "I passed out several times."

Dawkins was very much looking forward to igniting the Denver crowd, a great football city, with his Wolverine program.

"I may change from Wolverine to to Mighty Mouse," joked Dawkins. "Seriously, I will almost definitely have to walk through the tunnel onto the field. I've never done that before."

No comments: