Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Was standing ovation for a certain beloved snack cake mascot?

Philadelphia, PA--The national media, for once, praised Delaware Valley sports fans for their generous reception for the return of 11-year ex-Eagle quarterback Donovan McNabb. The nearly-minute long standing ovation was recognized, with a smile and wave, and appreciated by the new Washington Redskins' signal caller that led the home team to five NFC Championship games.

Standing behind McNabb on the field at the time of the ovation, however, was the beloved Kirby Krimpet, the mascot for Philadelphia-based Tasty Baking Company's butterscotch Krimpet, one of the city's iconic snack cakes.

"I told my buddy that I was disappointed that they didn't announce McNabb to the crowd," said Hank Barns, an Eagles' fan from Lansdowne, PA, who was seated in section 112 for the game. "He said they did, but it was at the same time that Kirby Krimpet came onto the field. I just get
so excited when I see Kirby Krimpet that I didn't even notice McNabb. I really was looking forward to seeing Donovan."

"This is embarrassing, but I was standing for Kirby Krimpet," said Tyler Supanoff, 54, from East Philadelphia. "I mean, you know it's a big event when Kirby makes an appearance. I feel horrible that I didn't see Donovan. I wanted to show my appreciation for all that he did for this team. I feel horrible."

The mascot, who made his debut in 1994, is regularly brought out for big sporting events at the South Philly sports complex.

"Kirby is like our new Kate Smith, but without the beautiful voice. Come to think of it, he doesn't sing ... or talk," said Teresa Gambone, a Lincoln Financial Field operations manager, referring to the famous singer that became a good luck charm for the Philadelphia Flyers during the 1970's while performing the national anthem before games. "Yeah, he really has no voice, but he's still our Kate Smith. A really quiet Kate Smith."

Part of the fixation with the mascot stems from the mystery of exactly how the Tasty Baking Company gets the icing on top of all Krimpet snack cakes.

"It is the age old question in Philadelphia: How do they get that icing on top of the Krimpet? I guess we'll never know," said Zack Galler, 45, of Francisville. "My kids and I go crazy when we see Kirby. My son has a t-shirt that reads,'Kirby+Krimpet=Kirby Krimpet.' It's priceless."

McNabb said after the game that he thought the standing ovation was for him until he panned around and saw Kirby Krimpet. "I really thought they were clapping for me, then I turned to see that walking, grinning Krimpet behind me. Philly loves that thing. I was a little embarrassed that I waved to the crowd and a little hurt that I had to share the stage with that delicious, icing-topped snack cake. How do they get that icing on top?"

No comments: