Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reid denies any involvement in choosing, designing Jackson's new 'concussion-proof' helmet

Eagles' head coach Andy Reid was stone-faced in front of members of the media when he unveiled wide receiver DeSean Jackson's new "concussion-proof" helmet during a press conference yesterday at the NovaCare Complex in South Philadelphia. Three weeks ago, Jackson took a devastating hit from Atlanta Falcons' cornerback Dunta Robinson that resulted in a severe concussion and an absence the following week from the Titans game.

Reports surfaced earlier this week that the coach had Ridell, the company that makes the majority of NFL helmets, join forces with Nabisco, the Texas-based snack food company, to specially design a new state-of-the-art protective head gear for the third-year star out of California.

"Listen guys," mumbled a pretzel-eating Reid, somewhat annoyingly after a sixth reporter asked if the coach was in any way involved in the helmet design or choice. "For the last time, I don't get in to all that stuff. That's something that our expert equipment guys take care of. I'm out of that decision process. I have lots of faith in them. I am, however, very worried about his health. I told DeSean that I want him to be protected as best he can from future Doritos, er, concussions. This is serious stuff. I also want him standing next to me on the sideline during all future games. He's not to be out of arms reach of me whenever he's on the sideline. If I walk onto the field to talk to a ref, he walks onto the field to talk to a ref. In fact, I don't know if he'll play another down this year. That's how serious this is. I'm just looking out for DeSean. Does that answer your question? Just enjoy the dip, man."

No comments: