Saturday, January 22, 2011

Interview with the Ryans: Buddy, Rex and Rob open up about bounties, Belichick, Browns, Braman, pork chops and handshakes


WilliamPennmanship: First off, I would like to thank the three of you for taking the time to talk with me. I realize that you traveled to Philadelphia, at your own cost, solely for the purpose to participate in this interview and that is greatly appreciated by everyone here at WilliamPennmanship. Two of you even flew here. I mean, Rex, you're in the middle of a playoff run, so I totally get the effort that was made. Do you guys want anything to drink? I have water or milk.
Ryan's: No, we're good.

WP: Hey guys, let me move some of this junk around and you can have a seat on this sofa. Sorry for this mess. Rex and Rob, could you grab those two boxes and I'll grab the pile of newspapers and you guys can sit down. Sorry about the heat, it's a long story. Here's a blanket. Let me just light this kerosene heater, it's gonna smell for about 15 minutes. Careful, one of those cushions on the couch has a piece of wire sticking up. Also, would you guys mind taking your shoes off?
(The Ryan's take a seat. Lots of sighing.)
So, let's get started. Do you guys, primarily Buddy, get to come to Philadelphia much? You're a legend here, Buddy. This is a real thrill for me.
Buddy Ryan: Oh, I love this city and the fans. I don't visit as much as I would like to, but I love coming back. Especially since Norman Braman [Eagles' former owner] lives in Florida now.
Rex Ryan: First, let me say that I really did think that travel costs were being covered by WP. I have my Amtrak ticket right here. And, B, I love Philly. I love that it's in southeastern Pennsylvania. There's something about the Schuylkill River that ... just sets the tone of this town.
Rob Ryan: I was here during the preseason this year. And, I will disagree with my brother and say that the Delaware River is really the most beloved river in the region. It makes things go.

WP: When was the last time the three of you were together?
Rob: We were all in Foxboro last week to watch Rex and the Jets beat the Patriots.

WP: Buddy, you have to be pretty excited about your son appearing in the AFC championship game for the second straight year?
Buddy: Oh, Number 2 (Buddy's nickname for his son Rob) coached for Cleveland this year and they didn't do so hot.

WP:
No, I mean Rex.
Buddy: Oh, sure. Of course, Number 1 (Buddy's nickname for son Rex). I am very, very proud of Number 1. I was joking a bit. I like to take jabs at Number 2 and remind him that he hasn't secured an NFL head coaching job yet.
Rob: (Rolls eyes) Dad, you're embarrassing me.

WP: Rex and Rob, you guys have the same birthday, how is this possible?
Rex: We're twins.
WP: That's cool. Fair enough.

WP: Buddy, did you ever consider naming either of your sons Ryan or Brian?
Buddy: You mean so that their full names would have been Ryan Ryan and Brian Ryan?
WP: Yes.
Buddy: Dammit. That would have been some good ol' fashion torture. Where were you 48 years ago?

WP: Casey, get down off the couch. Sorry about that guys. That's really my dog's couch. Casey, get down. Casey! Down! This is really embarrassing. Do you want a biscuit? Casey, get ... good boy. Sorry about that.

WP: I hate to go here, but I have to. Rex, how did your father's 1989 "Bounty Bowl" incident influence your career?
Rex: (The three laugh) Well, I was only 27 years old when my dad put a bounty on Cowboys' kicker Luis Zendejas. I was coaching in New Mexico at the time and I really thought it was a whole new way to motivate players. I thought my old man was on to something. However, it took me a while to realize this. After it happened, I called my dad and asked what the hell happened in Dallas today? He responded only as Buddy Ryan could: "Number 8 [Zendejas] needed to be hit hard. He's a kicker. The NFL should ban kickers and punters." When I asked him who would do the kicking and punting he hung up on me. Classic dad.

WP: Is it true that you put a bounty on Bill Bellichick's sweatshirt? I feel like that would be tough for a player to pull off. Literally.
Rex: (Nervous laughter followed by a long pause.) Where did you hear that?
WP: There were some re...
Rex: You got a lot of nerve. Next question.

WP: Buddy, is it true that after the "Bounty Bowl" you received thousands of Bounty paper towel rolls in the mail from Eagles' fans?
Buddy: (Proudly grins) Oh, yes. In fact, the exact amount was 63,569 rolls. I still have everyone in my basement.

WP: Rob, do you ever wish that you got into coaching?
Rob: I did. I'm the defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys.

WP: That's weird. Are you sure?
Rob: Yeah, I've been coaching in the NFL pretty much since 1994. I coached the Browns defense this year.
WP: I'm sorry, my notes are kind of unorganized here. What's Cleveland like? Is it still on that lake?
Rob: Yes, Lake Erie is right there. I really enjoyed Cleveland. A passionate and knowledgeable fan base that expect a lot.


WP: Let's get to the controversial topic of shaking hands with the opposing team's coach after a game--win or lose. Buddy, you refused to do this. Why?
Buddy: A lot of people called me a bad sport for not shaking hands. I really believe that doing that takes away from the game. You're not suppose to fraternize with the enemy. I'm long retired now, but, looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. For a time, the league was considering forcing me to shake hands. It never happened, but I bought an extra strength hand buzzer in case it did. Also, I was a crazy germ freak back then and didn't shake anybody's hand.

WP: Rex, it appears you have no problem shaking hands with the opposing team's coach. How did this happen?
Rex: (Buddy turns toward Rex in anticipation of the answer.) You ask some tough ones. The first time I did it in the NFL, dad saw it on TV and stopped talking to me for six months. I did it mostly to rebel. When I was coaching with my dad in Arizona, however, I never shook hands with opposing coaches. Dad made that a policy for the Cardinals. I still do it because I know it bugs him.

WP: I'm going to say a word and I would like all three of you to say the first word that comes to mind when you hear it. Ready?
Ryan's: Sure.
WP: Applesauce.
Buddy: Sweet.
Rob: Apples.
Rex: Mott's.

WP: Really? That's it? Buddy, didn't you choke on applesauce back in the late 80's?
Buddy: I choked on pork chops.
Rex: Where do you get your facts?
WP: That makes a lot more sense. My notes say applesauce and I was confused. I was like how could someone choke on applesauce?
Buddy: I had applesauce with that meal, but it was the pork chops that got me.
Rob: Dude, we're through. This interview is over. This is some low budget shit.

WP: Guys, please.
Ryan's: We're done.
WP: I apologize. When I get my notes in order and I clean this place up a bit and get my dog under control would you guys come back for another interview?

Above: The Ryan family after a game in Baltimore between the Raiders and the Ravens. At the time, Rex and Rob were defensive coordinators for Baltimore and Oakland, respectively. Buddy, third from left, wore a hat the read: Raiders vs. Ravens: Ryan vs. Ryan Leaves No Time for Cryin'.

No comments: