Thursday, January 20, 2011

A gift for his coach: For winning 125th game, Lurie permits Reid to interview Emeril Lagasse for open coordinator position


South Philadelphia--Could world-famous chef Emeril Lagasse be wearing a headset and standing on the home sideline at the side of Andy Reid at Lincoln Financial Field next season leading the defense ("Bam! That was a great tackle.)? Absolutely not! So why is the Cajun Chef scheduled to meet with the Eagles' head coach at the NovaCare Complex concerning the vacant defensive coordinator position this week?

Reid reached a milestone win this year, including playoff victories, when he won his 125th game in November. The organization's owner wanted to do something special for the 12-year coach. Perhaps a new car? A cash bonus? A luxury vacation? Reid wanted none of the above. The 2002 coach of the year wanted to interview Emeril Lagasse for a position with the Birds.

"I've always dreamed of having Emeril as an assistant coach on my staff," said an unusually emotional Reid, his bottom lip quivering. "I know it could never happen, but a coach can dream. Mr Lurie said I couldn't hire him, but I could at least interview him for the coordinator position. I'll settle for that."

"Andy won his 125th game this season against the Giants on November 21," said Eagles' owner Jeffrey Lurie. "Last week, I asked him what he wanted as a gift. He smiled and pointed to the Emeril Lagasse t-shirt that he always wears."

Lagasse has agreed to come in and meet with Reid and says he has tapes of himself defending some of the incredible meals he has made from overanxious family members.

"Obviously, I won't get the job but I think Andy will be impressed with my ability to keep my dishes from being picked at before the actual meal is served. I've really had to hone those defensive skills," said the chef.

An excerpt from Reid's press conference announcing Lagasse would be interviewed:

I have had this recurring dream for years now. We're [The Eagles] playing in the Super Bowl and we're ahead by five points with three seconds to go. The opposing team is threatening to score, as the ball is positioned on our 3-yard line. It's fourth down. This is the game. I look down the sideline and there is Emeril, our defensive coordinator. I yell to him: "Hey, Lagasse! This is why we brought you here. Get your defensive unit out there and make a stop." He smiles and replies, "Andy, I've been cooking up a defensive scheme for this moment for years." It's a running play and we make the tackle at the two-yard line. We go crazy. I'm hugging and high-fiving Emeril. I turn my back for a second and he dumps the container of Gatorade all over me. However, it's not filled with Gatorade. It's filled to the top with his signature meatloaf. It knocks my hat off--my good hat. I'm not mad at all. I'm covered in meatloaf and grinning from ear to ear. How could I be angry? We just won the Super Loaf.

No comments: