Monday, January 10, 2011

Report: Kobe Bryant also sent Aaron Rodgers a jersey with message: 'BE EPICer'; Eagles fans furious

Philadelphia, PA--NBA superstar Kobe Bryant, the Delaware Valley's favorite hometown hero, is taking a lot of heat from Eagles fans today. How did the California professional athlete manage to do this?

The Lower Merion High School alumnus sent the Bird's high-flying quarterback Michael Vick an autographed Lakers' jersey with the message: Be EPIC.

"When the equipment guys said there was a package for me from a K. Bryant with a Los Angeles address, I thought it was my boy Kori Bryant, a friend from Virginia who moved out to L.A. a few years ago to pursue an acting career," said Vick, standing at his locker after the first-round loss to the Packers. "I opened it up and saw it was a Laker jersey from Kobe. I got the chills right then and there."

Vick, who was overwhelmed by the gesture, wore the jersey during yesterday's game on the outside of his Eagles uniform. Some analysts felt this contrast of jersey color--similar to Green Bay yellow--prevented the offense from finding a rhythm throughout most of the contest.

This may have played a factor, but there was something bigger. What Vick or the rest of the Eagles were unaware of was that Bryant had also sent a signed Laker jersey to the team's Wild Card Round opponent. Specifically, to their quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

"When the equipment guys said there was a package for me from a K. Bryant with a Los Angeles address, I thought it was my buddy Kevin Bryant from Chico, who moved down to L.A. a few years ago to pursue an acting career," said Rodgers, sitting at his locker after the first-round win over the Eagles. "I opened it up and saw it was a Laker Jersey from Kobe. I got the chills right then and there."

The message on Rodger's jersey, however, was slightly different: "BE EPICer." Why was the Philadelphia native telling the Green Bay quarterback to be more epic?

Kobe Bryant's connection to Green Bay? During his senior year in high school in 1996, Lower Merion played a tournament in Madison, WI and the team was supposed to fly from Philadelphia to Chicago and onto the Wisconsin capital after a connection. However, a snowstorm in Madison forced the team to land in Green Bay, where they were delayed for four hours. That is Bryant's connection to Green Bay.

"Don't get me wrong," explained Bryant, the five-time world champion. "I like Mike and want to see him do well, but I wanted to take a shot at Philadelphia fans for all the booing over the years. And I thought this was the perfect opportunity to do it. I mean, I've only been to Green Bay once ... for a couple hours."

Vick said that when he first learned that Rodgers had also received a Laker jersey (not until after the game) and that Kobe's message was to be a bit more epic, that he was "disappointed and hurt." In fact, the resurgent quarterback declined to field any further questions regarding the gift.

Eagles fans were livid after learning about the message on Rodgers' jersey and the effect it may have played on the outcome of the game.

"I can't wait until the Lakers come to town next year," said Frank Vordini of Media, PA. "I'm gonna launch some EPICer booing."

No comments: