Monday, August 15, 2011

Hard rain rescues river junk collector's livelihood

Philadelphia--Yesterday's nearly five inches of rain (some areas saw more than eight inches) came just in time for one area man's way of life. Kyle Donnelly is a river junk collector and relies on strong storms to wash debris from local streets, down storm drains and into the city's waterways. "The drought, this lack of rain, was killing my business. I can usually collect around 40 trinkets and over 30 knick knacks a day from the river's edge. I have a swimming pool skim pole. I've been collecting river junk from the river for 14 years," said Donnelly, standing along the banks of the Schuylkill River with a pair of binoculars around his neck while inspecting an empty, soggy box of Honey Nut Cheerios. "This is what I do. I spot things on the water and all sorts of stuff, fish them out, and sell them ... on ebay or something. It's quite lucrative. Yesterday's rain was glorious, simply glorious."

No comments: