Wednesday, September 24, 2008

McCain recalls attending first ever game at Yankee Stadium


Republican Presidential candidate John McCain became somewhat emotional when a reporter asked him about the final game at Yankee Stadium on Sunday night.

"I'm a casual Yankees fan, but I remember that April day in 1923 as if it was yesterday," said McCain. "I took my son and we had a great day at the ballpark."

The presidential hopeful went on to describe the sights and the smells from the opening of the world's most state-of-the-art stadium, which was constructed in a little over a year.

"It[the temperature] was on the cold side I remember and my 1919 Model T was slow to start. But I gave her a good cranking and I got her to finally start."

The Senator from Arizona, who played an essential role in that state's entry into the Union in 1912, was on a road tour across the USA in 1923. The trip was a celebration of the 10 year anniversary of Arizona's statehood. Mechanical problems with the vehicle extended the trip four months past its expected finish, which put the Senator in New York for opening day.

"Seeing that game at Yankee Stadium and hearing the crowd and smelling all the smells was instrumental in bringing the Diamondbacks to the Grand Canyon State some 75 years later," said McCain referring to Major League Baseball's arrival in Phoenix in 1998.

McCain also recalled how during the game he said to his son that there should be a swimming pool just beyond the center field wall for fans to relax in.

No comments: