Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Study:Americans spend billions of hours looking for end of tape on roll


It's official. Americans spend more than two billion hours a year looking for the end of the tape on a tape roll. A recent study by Cooper-Sinclair, an efficiency expert company, analyzed the annoying occurrence in over 2,000 American households.

"I think we revealed to the American public that this is a much more serious problem than first anticipated," said Julia Van Strohman, vice chair of studies at Cooper-Sinclair.

Many, if not all, know the feeling of cutting a piece of tape, setting down the roll and then being unable to locate the end.

One man in the study said,"I spent an entire afternoon looking for that thing and I told myself that I was going to put something on the end next time so I could identify it. Like a small piece of wood or something."

Many experts feel that the time spent on looking for the end of tape could be spent eating or actually finishing the job that requires the tape. It was reported that almost 78% of the projects that participants attempted, and delayed because of searching, were never completed.

"Yes, 22% of participants eventually found the end of the tape and went on the finish the project," said Van Strohman.

One anonymous government official expressed that if "we searched for bin Laden the way we look for the end of tape I think we would have found him years ago."

Cooper-Sinclair also took an enormous amount of video for the study and plans to release a documentary film on the subject some time in late 2008. "Some of the violent reactions that tape can cause are quite comical and should be put on the big screen," laughed Van Strohman.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No kidding, this is so true..nothing spoils a cool decorative thought than an end of a tape that can't be found! I'd rather spend my quality time analyzing the number of other frustrated people like me, yeah.