Friday, April 11, 2008

Borrower offers to return inter-library loan book to home library; librarian unsure


Cynthia Hammons, of Pennsport, borrowed a book from the Free Library of Philadelphia using an inter-library loan almost three weeks ago. "They didn't have the book so I thought this was the way to go," said Hammons.

The Library was able to get the book, Chalk on the Eraser, for Hammons from the Alleghany Library in Pittsburgh. Libraian Tom Forn unnecessarily explained that"The book arrived in a large yellow envelop."

Hammons read the book in just over two weeks and was planning a business trip to Pittsburgh when she noticed that the book was borrowed from the "Steel City."

"I saw the book had to be returned to Pittsburgh and so I called and offered to take the book back during my trip and they told me they would get back to me."

Forn admitted that in all of his years at the library he has never had a borrower offer to return an inter-library loan book to its original location. "It's not that I don't trust her, it's just that I wonder what will happen to the book. I mean...what if she gets busy or can't find the time to do it. And it's a little wacky."

No comments: